Hematology is the medical specialty that is involved in the study of the cause, prognosis, treatment and prevention of diseases of the blood and hematopoietic organs (spleen, bone marrow, lymph nodes, liver). Thus, it also involves the treatment of diseases that influence the production of blood and its components, such as blood cells, hemoglobin, blood proteins, bone marrow, platelets, blood vessels, spleen and clotting mechanism.
The most common conditions for this medical specialty are:
- Anemia (low levels of red blood cells)
- Deep vein thrombosis (blood clots)
- Multiple myeloma (cancer located in the bone marrow, lymph nodes or leukocytes)
- Sepsis (dangerous reaction of the body to a localized infection in the blood)
- Hemophilia (a genetic condition related to blood clotting)
- Sickle cell disease (a condition in which red blood cells develop abnormally)